Democrat-Herald Section III
Wednesday, March 27, 1968
Basche - Sage
Hardware Company ~ 1890
Located in the same block as the original Store
Democrat-Herald Section III Wednesday, March 27, 1968
above is the Basche Sage Warehouse located on the 2700 block of Court St.
The warehouse contains modern facilities for efficient handling of heavy
hardware supplies such as nails, pipe, rope, tools, roofing, etc.
Basche Sage Hardware 1950's
Basche-Sage Has 75th
Noted Wholesale and
In 1875; Purchased by Basche in 1876
"Your home-owned store since 1875"
is no mere slogan but actually a five word history of the notable
Baker first of Basche-Sage Hardware Company, which is this week
celebrating its 75th anniversary.
The original business, although under a different name, was started
that year by J.H. Parker, but its continuity has never been broken.
The next year, in 1876, Peter Basche purchased Mr. Parker's interest
and later took into the firm as a partner, J.P. Faull, the business
being known as Basche and Company. After a few words and upon the
death of Mr. Faull, Mr. Basche conducted the business alone until
Consolidated With Sage-Grace
During the last named year Basche and Company took over the firm of
Sage and Grace and the consolidated firm assumed the name of
Basche-Sage Hardware Company under which title it has continued ever
since. Prior to 1903, a branch store had been established in the
booming mining town of Sumpter, but was sold some years later to
Claude Basche who operated it until the Sumpter fire. Mr. Basche
later joined the firm and became secretary- treasurer.
About this time, D.W. French, then cashier of the Citizens Bank of
Baker, became identified with the company and was first
secretary-treasurer and later president of the firm. S.L. Baer, one
of Baker's noted pioneer business men from his arrival here in 1886,
became vice-president of the hardware firm.
Mining Supplies Important
Early officers of the company recognized the importance of the
mining industry in the Baker territory and met the demand by
stocking one of the largest lines of mine and milling supplies of
any store between Portland and Salt Lake City. The wholesale trade
was given special attention. The necessary stocks of these and other
hardware lines, including those needed by livestock operators in the
area, required much storage space and warehouses were added,
including one at the O.W.R.N. and company railroad tracks, which
later was doubled in size.
During the companies long history, its managers have kept abreast of
the times with new lines and more modern equipment of the hardware
and kindred lines as those became available and today on its three
big floors are arrayed everything pertaining to the hardware and
Modern Store Built In 1926
The present fine brick store building was erected in 1926 on the
quarter block at Main and Broadway. The store building is 125 by 100
feet with two stories and full basement. The structure provides
floor space of 40,000 square feet. The building, designed by the
late M.P. White, architect, has been widely praised for its beauty
and practical arrangement. It was built Trenchell & Parelius, then
general contractors of Portland. The site on which the big store was
built was the original site of the Pioneer Kentucky Liqour store,
which was razed to make room for the modern store.
Claude Basche Was Company Manager
The late Claude Basche, whose death occurred this year, had a
prominent part in affairs of Basche-Sage Hardware Company for many
years. Son of one of the founders, he spent his entire adult life
with the concern. He was a native son of Baker, having been born
here December 11, 1877.
In 1899 he went to Sumpter and started a hardware store which was
taken over by the company when it organized in 1903. Four years
later the company withdrew from the Sumpter business and Mr. Basche
continued to conduct the store until 1917 when his place was burned
out in the big fire of the mining town. He then moved back to Baker
and again affiliated himself with the local store.
He was secretary-treasurer, directing and manager of Basche-Sage,
successively, holding the managership for a number of years prior to
his death and which office is now held by his son Fred. He was
prominent in civil as well as commercial affairs of the city and was
a member of the board of directors of the Baker County Chamber of
Commerce for a number of years. He is credited with being one of the
organizers of the Baker Rod & Gun club.
Source: The Record-Courier, Baker, Baker County, Oregon, Thursday,
November 23, 1950
and Post Cards
Baker County Towns
Oregon Genealogy Records
Other Genealogy Records
Contribute to Oregon Genealogy
If you have information you would like contribute to
the website, please use our comment form!! If you find a broken link
please let us know!