incorporated October 30, 1897, by A. S. Blowers, E. W. Copner, Chas.
Early, and L. N. Blowers, with a capital stock of $20,000.00, for
the purpose of carrying on a general merchandise business, making a
specialty of supplying the mimes, in the close proximity of which
Sumpter lies. With this idea to view they carry it very large and
well assorted stock, consisting of well-known and regular brands of
goods, and they do mot fall to guarantee all purchases made of them.
I.. N. Blowers, the president of the company, was born
in Buchanan County, Iowa, April 18, 1867, but at an early age moved
with his father to Minnesota, where he
received his education in the
public schools. In 1890 he moved to Hood River, Oregon, where his
father and himself bought out the general merchandise
stock, of E. L. Smith, which business they operated until, October
In December, 1895, Mr. Blowers was elected
mayor of Hood River on the Republican ticket, and served his term of
two years with credit to himself and to Hood River. He has also been
very active in National Guard affairs, having been lieutenant of Co.
D, 3rd Regiment. He has lately been honored in being elected mayor
of the newly Incorporated city of Sumpter.
A. S. and I.. N. Blowers have lately acquired the
interest of the other incorporators, and are now sole owners of the
P. J. Griffin
~ Capitol Hotel
"Mine host" of
the Spencer, the leading hotel of Sumpter, was born in New Hampshire
in 1848. He has had considerable experience in the business, gained
in hotels in Boston and in British Columbia. Lately, however, he has
been engaged in miming and stock raising in the Burnt River country.
On the first of April he bought this hotel. It is a large and
commodious building, having, thirty-eight bedrooms. It is thoroughly
lit by electricity, and has all the modern improvements. The table
is furnished with all the market affords, and is a cardinal feature
of the house. His wife aids him in the supervision of the hotel, and we bespeak for them a
large and growing patronage.
The Sumpter Lumber Company, of
whose plant we present a cut, is one of the best equipped mills in
Eastern Oregon, the main building being two stories in height, with
a length of 126 feet, and an extreme width of 60 feet. They also
have a planing mill and a shingle mill, and are in a position to
supply the complete wants of their many customers, their capacity
being twenty thousand feet of lumber in a day. The firm is composed
of A. W. Ellis and J. B. Stoddard, the latter acting as general
manager, and of whom it can be truthfully said that he has passed
the majority of his life in the lumber business. He is a native of
Utah, and after receiving a liberal
education, in 1877, became
identified with his father in the lumber business in Wyoming, also operating saw mills at
Beaver Canyon, Idaho and Logan Canyon, Utah. In 1884, in
connection with his father and brother, they bought out Henry E.
Gibson, of Ogden, Utah, and for a period of two years did a
wholesale business from that point. Then forming with others
the Ogden Lumber & Building Company, he acted as manager of it for a
year, but after its incorporation resigned to take charge of his
other plants at Aspen, Wyoming. Selling his Aspen property, he
returned to Ogden, and in connection with David Kay and L. J. Holther, organized and incorporated the Rocky Mountain Lumber
Company, in which he retained his stock until several months ago,
disposing if it to Mr. Holther. Coming out here to assist his
brothers in moving their plant, he saw the need of a saw mill
at Sumpter, and the result was the establishment of his present
In 1881, Mr. Stoddard married Miss Esther Leishman, the
oldest daughter of Hon. J. A. Leishman, of Logan, Utah, and has four
children, the eldest, his son Leon, being 15. He is president of the
Business Men's Association of Sumpter, and has been active in
advancing the interests of the town. He, is a prominent Republican
worker, and has time and again lent his aid in advancing the cause
of his party.
One of the most progressive firms of Sumpter is that composed of W.
E. Kahler and M. C. Foreman, doing business under the style of
Kahler & Co. They carry a well selected stock of general merchandise
including clothing, furnishing goods, boots and shoes, &c., making a
specialty marking their goods at as close a margin as possible, and
treating all customers with courtesy, they have in this way built up
a trade that is a credit to their judgment.
Mr. W. E. Kahler is a native son, having been born in
Jackson County, in 1857, receiving his education in the public
schools, and at the Ashland Academy and the
Agricultural College at Corvallis. He has resided in Eastern Oregon
since 1881, having been engaged in the stock business in Grant
County for two years, and in the mercantile business in Morrow and
Wasco Counties for four years prior to coming here in the fall of
1897. He is an active member of the Odd Fellows and Workmen.
In 1891 he married Miss Jose Miles, of Douglas County, and has one
child, a boy.
J. N. Jones
J. N. Jones
was born in Independence, Oregon, October 22, 1869, but at all
early age moved with his parents to Umatilla County, where they
stayed seven years. Moving then to Morrow County. He received his
preliminary education in the public schools, and later attended the
Willamette University at Salem. Returning home. He became engaged in
the stock business until May 1896, when he moved to
Sumpter. In September of the same year he bought out the
livery, feed and sale stable of Thos. McEwan and has made a number of improvements to
it. His barn is large and
commodious, being 40x100, in which he can stable sixty head of
horses. He has a number of of fine turnouts on hand which he keeps
benefit of the public, and rents
at very reasonable figures. He especially caters to the traveling
and mining men, making their trade a feature of his business.
Sumpter Meat Company ~ Wm. Gleison, Jos. Woods,
J. P. Alden
establishment, composed of Jos. Woods. Wm. Gleison and J. P. Alden,
operating shops both here and in Bourne, has been exceptionally
successful, and is steadily growing in public favor. Their retail rooms
are spacious and complete in equipment, while their slaughter house,
located about a mile front Sumpter is large and modern, and is supplied with the latest appliances
for killing, averaging thirty beeves, thirty-five hogs and forty sheep
monthly. They make a specialty of supplying the mines, running a wagon out
to them. Mr. Alden does the outside work, buying cattle &c., while Mr.
Woods attends to the Sumpter shop, and Mr. Gleison to the Bourne shop.
Their building was built especially for their
business, being most substantial in
all details, being equipped with the latest machinery for sausage
making, and they also have a cold storage plant where all meats are kept.
Mr. Woods was born in England in
1848, remaining there until his 23rd year. He then came to the States,
spending more or less time in New York, New England. St. Louts, Missouri
and Arkansas, following the butchering business. Coming west, he spent a
short while in California, and then moved to Montesano, Washington, where
he had a shop far ten years, moving to Hoquain, he ran a shop there for
four years, and then opened his present place of business here. He is a
thorough master of the business, and has the well earned reputation of
being the most artistic meat dresser in the State.
Mr. Gleison is a native of Maine,
born in 1852, and remained there until 1883. Coming to Oregon he spent ten
years in La Grande and also two years in McEwan, where he operated a shop.
Moving to, Sumpter he continued in the business, erecting the first
building on the present Main street of the town. When the present company
was organized he became one of the partners. He married Mrs. F. D.
Farnham, of .Auburn, and is a member of the Masonic order.
J. F. Alden the junior member of
the firm is a native of Wisconsin. He came to Oregon in the fall of
1883 and for one year was in the employ of the S. F. Richardson Lumber Co.
in Union County. He then went into the stock business, remaining in it
until 1891, going into the general merchandise business with S. F.
Richardson at Hilgard, Oregon. He followed that until burnt out. Returning
to his ranch, he remained there until the spring of 1897, when be moved to
Sumpter and entered the present firm. He married Miss Ida S. Ripley, of La
Grande, in 1882, and has two daughters living.
The Sumpter Hardware
Company ~ Geo. C. Hickok
This establishment, which
has lately opened business here on the Main street, occupies a
two-story building 25x100, which is completely filled with shelf and
builders' hardware, mining machinery, and everything pertaining to
that line. They make a specialty of supplying the mines, and buying
in the largest quantities and at very close figures, are enabled to
meet any and all prices in their lime. The policy of the firm is
honest dealing, the best goods, and prices low for the best.
Mr. Geo. C. Hickok, the manager of the company, was
born in Greeue County, Wisconsin, in 1855, on a farm. Moving to
Evansville he entered a printing office and later followed it at
Madison, Wisconsin. At the age of fourteen he entered the employ of
the First National Bank as messenger boy and gradually worked
himself up to cashier, remaining with the bank for ten years. He
then moved to Baraboo, Wisconsin, engaging in the milling business
with Messrs. McFettridge & Warren. Moving to Chicago he began to
operate on the board of trade, which he followed for two years,
retaining his interest in the mill. Selling out he went to North
Bend, Nebraska, where he acted as cashier and Manager of the lst
National Bank until 1886, when, with the same people, he organized
the Deadwood National Bank, with a capital stock of $100,000.00, of
which institution he was president for five years. He had become
largely interested in mining during the time he was in Deadwood and
acted as secretary and treasurer of the Golden Reward Milling Co. In
the fall of 1891, he resigned his position in the bank and selling
out his interest in the Golden Reward, became treasurer and general
manager of the Portland Consolidated Mining Company. In 1894, he
went to Colorado and acted as superintendent of the Ashland and
Cripple Creek Mining Co., and remained there until 1897. During all
this time, he had been interested, in a hardware store in La Grande,
but hadl only been able to visit it once a year. Mr. Hickok is a
Mason andd Woodman, and is married to Miss Jessie Harris, of South
Bend Indiana, daughter of James Harris, one of the early pioneers of
that state. He has five children, four boys and a girl.
Eastern Oregon Gold Fields
Baker County Towns
Oregon Genealogy Records
Other Genealogy Records
Contribute to Oregon Genealogy
If you have information you would like contribute to
the website, please use our comment form!! If you find a broken link
please let us know!