the most important industries of our thriving town is the above, it
portion of the interior of which we present, in an accompanying cut. It is
located on Washington street, a half block east of the Warshauer Hotel, in
the most central part of the city, and at a spot where they have the moat
excellent drainage. The building is 30x100 feet, two stories high. In the
purchase of machinery, and in the installation of business no expense was
spared in making everything first class, in order that the work turned out
might equal any in the state. A short time since we paid a visit to the
laundry, and were well repaid. Although from early Monday morning until
late Saturday night it is a busy place, time is always taken to show
visitors through, and explain the machinery and its workings. Entering the office which is neat and
comfortable in its appearance, one can follow the process of washing,
drying, starching and ironing, until the once soiled linen is tied up
ready for delivery. In its snowy whiteness, which must be seen to be
appreciated. The bundles of dirty clothes are assorted into separate bins,
after being counted and marked, and are then ready for the wash-room.
Large crates are wheeled to the clothes bins, and the clothes run into the
washroom, and put into the washers, which are large cylinders, revolving
first forward, then backward, allowing the clothes to drop from side to
side upon raised ribs of wood. This gives the same effect as rubbing them
over the familiar washboard, and in one hour 100 to 125 shirts or equal
proportion of other clothing are ready for the bluing. After rinsing and
bluing, they go to the extractor, which is nothing less than a centrifugal
drier. The plain work is then ready to be ironed on the mangle, a large
steam ironer capable of ironing one thousand towels in one hour, which
will give the same finish to a bedspread as to a napkin. The starch work
goes to the starch table, thence to the dry room, which is a series of
racks in a steam-heated closet. The steam table for underwear, blankets,
etc., is a novel idea, and a valuable one too. as it raises the nap on the
goods until they are soft and fluffy and as pure and sweet as new. In the
shirt, collar and cuff department it is a relief to see the work done by
girls in their neat and attractive attire, rather than to see the filthy
Chinese in their close cramped quarters, spewing over their work which may
be a little cheaper but in a thousand ways objectionable.
The shirt work alone is rapidly building up a business
for the laundry, which the management may well be proud of, as it is
conceded of every hand to be equal if not superior to any work of this
nature in the state. Two delivery wagons call for and deliver work
locally, and they also have established agencies in Union, Sumpter and
Huntington, Oregon, and Weiser, Caldwell and Nampa, Idaho, besides at all
the mining camps in the neighboring counties. The management consist of J.
W. Dalton and his wife, have both personally had over fifteen years
experience in the business, and who personally look after the inside part
of the work. They contemplate some improvements in the near future, such
as putting in a large drive well filter, additional storage tanks for hot
and cold water. etc., which when finished, will make it the most complete
laundry between Portland and Salt Lake.
Palmer & Denham
A list of
Baker City's enterprising and successful business men would not he
complete without mentioning Palmer & Denham, the hustling, up-to-date
harness men of Main street. The partners, R. R. Palmer and H. E. Denham,
are both practical mechanics and personally supervise the construction of
every piece of work that is turned out of their shop. The interior cut we
present will give our traders some idea of the line carried, which
consists of harness, saddles, saddlery, hardware, horse furniture of every
description and gloves. They have the largest stock in Eastern Oregon,
keeping at large assortment on hand in order to satisfy the demands of all
their customers. They make a specialty of stock saddles, at
catalogue of which can be second on application. In their shop they employ
five skilled workmen, and their motto is "The very best at reasonable prices." They are also
agents for the White sewing machine, which they sell for from $30 to $50.
J. H. Parker & Sons
splendid representative of its special line of enterprise is that
conducted by J. It. Parker & Sons, livery, board and hack stables. They
lover half a block, two stories In height, with accommodations for 125
head of horses, and in fact are the largest stables in Eastern Oregon.
They are thoroughly equipped in every way, owning carriages. hulks, and so
forth, including it $1200.00 hearse. Special attention is paid to
boarders, which are accommodated lit most moderate rates. They also handle
hay and grail. owning two ranches in the valley, about eight miles from
Baker City, raising hay on one and grain on the other. The firm is
composed of J. H. Parker and his sons Carlos and W. H.
T. H. Parker
is at native of Canada, but has been located in this country since 1802,
successfully following ranching until he went into his present business.
He is stock inspector for the county, and cheerfully furnishes information
regarding the sheep business to any inquirer
His sons are both good business men, and number their
friends by the score.
Numbered among the enterprising mill firms of Eastern Oregon is that of
the above named gentlemen. Established in McEwan about three years ago by
George and Joseph Stoddard, it has been running at the full capacity of
30,000 feet per day. While other mills have been forced to reduce or
temporarily shut down, the Stoddard mills have continued to increase their
orders. This is largely due to the fact that they are thoroughly
conversant with eastern methods, and have been enabled to capture trade
where others have failed. A year ago last spring they moved their planer
and yards to Baker City. The planer is as thoroughly equipped with
modern machinery as is possible, including band saws,
circular saws, rip saws, surface, matcher, sticker, trimmers, &c. They
also have a printing machine for printing fruit boxes, as they do a large
business in that line. Their trade is mostly of a wholesale nature, as
they ship to Idaho, Utah, Montana. Wyoming, Colorado and Nebraska.
George Stoddard is a native of Utah, being born in Cache Valley in 1865.
He received his education there, and remained at home until of age.
He then spent three years in Wyoming, and later three in North Powder,
Oregon. He has been in the saw mill business since he was a mere lad. In
1888 he married Miss Ellen Izatt, of Logan. Utah, and has four sons.
Joseph Stoddard is also a native of Utah, and was born
in 1873. He received his education at Ogden and moving to Oregon became a
partner of his brother in 1894. He is married to Miss Maggie Izatt, and
has at daughter.
A review of our
business houses would be incomplete without some mention of the one above.
Incorporated in July, 1893, they carry complete lines in groceries,
queensware, clothing, boots and shoes, hats and caps, and open's
furnishings. In groceries they endeavor to satisfy the wants of the most
exacting of their city patrons, and constantly add to the variety of
brands carried until today on their shelves will be found an assortment of
staple and fancy groceries rarely seen outside of it city store. In the
clouting department they can fill the wants of any possible customer, as
the selection runs from that adapted to four year old children to that
adapted to the largest sized man. In selecting their lines it has always
been their aim to keep three things in view, and these are durability, style and fit.
"Up-to-date" fully expresses their stock of men's furnishings, a casual observation disclosing the fact
that their stock is a most complete and diversified one In hats and caps
thy carry all the well-known makes, and the intending purchaser would
indeed be hard to please it he could not be satisfied out of their
selection. In shoes they carry such well-known lines as C. M. Henderson &
Co.'s and C. Gotzian & Co.'s, and every pair is carefully fitted before
the customer leaves the house. Believing implicitly in fair and upright
dealing with every one alike, they base their business on the strictly one
price system. and the "age or previous condition of servitude" of their
customers make no difference in the marking of goods. By this fair
treatment and great zeal in entering to the warns of their customers,
although a new firm, in one sense, they have forged right to the front.
Cato Johns, one of the partners, came here in 1890, and
a year later engaged in the grocery business which two years later was
merged into the present stock company. F. E. Hale, who has lately become
interested, is a merchant of considerable experience, and a man that
cannot help to make friends among us.
Phillips said of great Political institutions is also true of great
business enterprises: "They are not made, they grow," This saying finds
ample and fitting illustration in the large hardware establishment owned
by P. Basche.
Established in 1865 by J. H. Parker, two years later P.
Basche and S. Ottenheimer bought him out, the later selling out a year
later to S. H. Parker again, the firm continuing as Parker & Basche until
1888, when J. P. Faull became interested, buying out Mr. Parker's
interest two years after Mr. Faull's death Mr. Basche bought his interest
and has since conducted the business alone.
The main salesroom is 25x100, two stories, and their
warehouse on First street 50x100 three stories.
Powder, caps, fuse. &r., being carried on the outskirts of the city is a
specially constructed warehouse. As this institution virtually supplies
the trade of four counties, the stock carried is one of unusual magnitude.
It consists of hardware in all its branches, stoves and house furnishings,
agricultural implements, mining machinery, paints, oils, and building
material. In sporting goads be has such well-known. agencies as the
Winchester Repeating Arms Co., Martin Arms Co., and also Smith's,
Parker and Ithica shot guns. In the house furnishing department he has the
absolute agency of the "Majestic" steel range and Bridge, Beach & Co.'s
line, the "Superior" stoves and steel ranges. His judgment in selecting
these lines speaks for itself, the "Majestic" being undoubtedly the best
range in the market, the best authorities being unanimous in their
declarations that for simplicity of construction, ease of management,
cleanliness in use and certainty of no repair
bills it is unequalled. The "Superior"
line is made by men who have 61 years experience as stove makers, which
assertion should speak for itself. In the implement department he controls
the sole agency of the "Oliver" plows, Mitchell farm and spring wagons,
Buffalo Pitts threshers, Crown mowers, McCormack mowers and reaper's, and
Thomas hay rakes. In mining machinery he carries the Knowles pump,
hydraulic glints and stamp mills of every description. He has also a
complete plant for the manufacture of hydraulic pipe, being able to make
any size wanted: in fact, he has sold 3500 feet of eleven inch 16 gauge
steel pipe this season of his own make. In powder he handles the
"Hercules." made by the California Powder Works, which is noted for its
uniformity, the company at present having a government contract for
smokeless powder, gun cotton, &e, to an extent of over one million
In paints, oils, lead, &e., he carries none but high
grade goods, and in building material of all kinds his stock is an
unusually heavy one. The plumbing and tinshop is under the supervision of
experienced workmen. Some idea of the amount of business he does can be
gained from the fact that at present be has eighteen men in his employ.
Last year he handled about 126 carloads of merchandise, including four of
wagons and four of powder, paying In the aggregate over $30,000 freight
S. A. Heilner
When we see a gentleman who is successful in his business,
we know that his prosperity is not the result of chance, but rather that
he has worked hard and long, and that he possesses a spirit which does not
succumb to trifling discouragements. When one attains this proud
distinction of being known as a solid man, his word is considered its good
as his bond, and his reputation must necessarily be unblemished. Mr.
Heilner is one of our citizens who, without aid or guidance, has followed
the true instincts of his own progressive nature and today takes his place
in the ranks of the very foremost. Born in Germany in 1837, he came to the
United States in 1852, and to the southern part of this state
in 1854, where he followed quartz mining and merchandising. While residing
there he went through the Rogue River Indian war of '55 and '56 and was a
member of Oregon's sanitary commission in the civil war. In 1872 he moved
to Eastern Oregon, locating at Sparta, where he operated a merchandise
establishment until 1874, whet he moved to Baker City, and has since been
engaged in the the merchandise or warehouse business. In the manner of
improving his property he has proven his faith in the future of our town,
his main store, of which we present a view, being an elegant three story
brick 50x100. In this he carries an unusually heavy stock of groceries and
queensware, in which lines he does an extensive business, both wholesale
and retail. He is also erecting a fireproof stone warehouse 52x100 on
street to accommodate his increasing
storage business, as he handles wool, grain, hides. &v., buying direct on
commission, and does, forwarding and storage for interior points.
Mr. Heilner is at charter member of Baker City Lodge
No. 47, A. F. and A. M. and also a member of Keystone Chapter No. 15. R.
A. . In 1874 he married Miss Clara Neuberger of Portland, and they have
four children, two of his sons Jesse and Sanford, being associated with
him in business, the other, Joseph, being a law partner of Wm. Smith.
The above named house, one of the most representative in its line, was
incorporated in May, 1894, by J. W. Daly and Joseph and C. L. Palmer.
Their salesroom is tastefully furnished, and contains a choice and
carefully collected stock of everything in the line of staple and fancy
groceries, queensware, glassware, crockery, &c. They carry a very fine
line of fancy groceries, and the scale of operations of this firm are such
that they are enabled to offer very special inducements which the public
has been quick to recognize, for the trade comes from all parts of the
city, and from nine mines, and is constantly improving. Besides the
members of the firm two assistants are generally employed. They run a free
delivery wagon. Succeeding Place & Co. in 1894, the business has steadily
grown, compelling them to enlarge their quarters forty feet. In queensware,
glassware, &c., they carry the latest designs and patterns, their stock
being probably the largest in the city. The members of the firm are
enterprising, progressive business men, and fully merit their good
| 2 |
Eastern Oregon Gold Fields
Baker County Towns
Oregon Genealogy Records
Other Genealogy Records
Contribute to Oregon Genealogy
If you have information you would like contribute to
the website, please use our comment form!! If you find a broken link
please let us know!