Newspaper Articles

Blow Up Saloon With Powder

 Chieftain, Nov. 6, 1902
Saloon Blown Up.

      “Crooked” Bob Jordan’s saloon in Imnaha was blown up with giant powder last Wednesday night by unknown parties.  There was considerable opposition on the part of the people of Imnaha to the presence of a saloon because it interfered with the success of public gatherings.  The owner of the public hall had given out that he would not permit dances to be held in the hall as long as there was a saloon on Imnaha, so of course the lovers of dancing were allied very closely with the avowed anti-saloon people.  The result is as stated above.  Bob and his partner were in one end of the saloon when the other end went skyward, but were not seriously injured.

Eureka Saloon Blown Skyward

 Chieftain, July 16, 1903 BLEW UP SALOON
Mr. Shorty at Eureka Pedeled Out Bad Booze.

 Lewiston Tribune – A report reached here last night stating that the tent saloon on Deer Creek about one and a half miles from Eureka in the Imnaha district, had been blown up with dynamite by some cowboys, who believed they had a grievance against the proprietor, who is known amongst the miners at “Shorty”.  The place was first established at Imnaha, but the boys became tired of it last fall and placing a box of dynamite under the joint suddenly started it skyward.

     This was enough to convince “Shorty” that he was not wanted there so he moved to Deer Creek, where he has since been running his place.  The men who have patronized the place say that only the vilest kind of liquor was handled and that it was the custom to fill a man up on the poison and then take his money away from him.  The night the place was blown up there was a miner there who had drawn his wages that day and when he returned to the mine that night he had neither money or watch, nor had he any recollection of what had become of his belongings.

     As told by an eye witness the place was running as usual when, without warning, in walked two masked cowboys and ordered everybody to leave the tent.  Soon after the tent was vacated there was a loud report that was heard for miles and there was not enough left of the joint to tell what it had been.  Cigars, tobacco, broken bottles, and all kinds of canned goods were scattered over the hill side, but the wiley booze seller had been so badly scared that he did not stop to see what he could save, but hurried to a place of safety and has not yet returned.  It is understood that the miners will not tolerate any institution that will rob them of their wages and give them another in return.

Fish Screen on Wallowa Lake

This picture shows the first fish screen at the dam at the foot of Wallowa lake, apparently a wooden device at the dam itself with a mesh screen stretched over the edges of parallel boards sloping back to the dam.

            Many screens have come and gone since this picture was taken with many arguments between the Game Commission and the ditch companies who built and own the dam on the division of responsibility for building and maintaining the screen.  In recent years the screen has fallen into disrepair and officials are reluctant to spend the tens of thousands of dollars deemed necessary to put the screen back in condition.

Flu Epidemic


Children Asked To Stay Home Until Well When Disease Appears In the Family.

            School will reopen next Monday and if the parents co-operate sufficiently will remain open.  Dr. S. D. Taylor and Dr. C. A. Ault decided yesterday to permit the lifting of the ban, but made it plain that precautions will be observed to prevent the spread of influenza, or any other disease.

            In any family where any member has had the influenza, said Dr. Taylor, the parents are asked to keep the children from school for one week after the last case is well.

            Any child with a sore throat or with a cough should remain at home until well, as most sore throats and coughs are contagious with children.

            There are still a few isolated cases of smallpox in the county and any child with any eruption of the body should remain at home until entirely well.  In any family where any child is sick, keep the other children from school until sure that the disease is not contagious.

            The teachers will watch over their rooms closely, and will send home any pupils who show symptoms of contagious disease.

            It is only by strict observance of these suggestions that school can be kept open.  Supt. James give notice of the opening of school, with warnings and cautions similar to those of the  

Haying 70 Years ago on Alder Slope

Alder Slope

This picture was taken about 70 years ago and shows a typical haying operation on the Johnathan Haas ranch, now the Jay Langston place, on Alder Slope.  Bill Hays drove the derrick team, ran a rake and carried water for the crew which consisted of three pitchers in the field, three men on hayracks, two men in the hay mow and a derrick driver among others.  More than a dozen workers are shown here.
     Hays recalls that he worked from 6 am to 6 pm, or longer for 50 cents per day.  The men got from a dollar to a dollar and a quarter a day.  Hay sold for from $8 to $10 a ton.
     Running four wagons and with a full crew this outfit could put up about 35 to 40 tons of hay per day with horse drawn mowers, dump rakes, pitchforks, ray racks and a Jackson fork.


Reavis Index

 Back to Home Page


Latest Content

Oregon Obituary Database

We changed our name, and have expanded!

Contains obituaries for Baker, Crook, Grant, Hood River, Lane, Linn, Malheur, Umatilla, Union, and Wallowa Counties.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]