Grant County, Oregon Biographies

Newt. Livingston

     Newt. Livingston, the present sheriff of Grant County, is a native of Missouri. When he was barely a year old, he came to Oregon with his parents, and lived in Douglas County until 1886. Moving then to Willow precinct, on Granite Creek, in the northern part of this county, he took op a homestead and became engaged in stock rising. In 1896 he was nominated by the Populist Party for Sheriff, and was elected by a handsome majority. He has proven to be a capable and efficient officer, and is popular with all who know him. In 1875 he married Miss M. E. Newsman, of Douglas County, and has four children.


Hon. George L. Hazeltine

Among the many pioneers of this county none stand higher in the estimation of their fellow citizens than the subject of our sketch. Born in New York in 1838, he came to California at the age of 17 with his oldest brother and resided there for a period of nine years. On the 4th day of July 1862, he arrived in Grant County, and became engaged in mining. In 1804, in connection with A. R. Callum, he built the John Day flouring mills, being the first one built east of the Cascades in the State. He operated it until 1874, when he disposed of his interest to James Norman. He then took up his old calling of photography, and has followed that more or less ever since. In 1878 he was nominated by the Democratic

Party for County Judge, and being elected, served until 1882. He was re-elected again in 1890, to the same office. In 1890 he was elected County Treasurer, which position he still occupies. He takes quite an interest in fraternal affairs having been secretary of Canyon City Lodge No. 34, A. F. & A. M., continuously since 1882, except one year, when he served as master. He is also a member of Hobah lodge No. 22, I. O. O. F., being a P. N. G. and is also Past Chief Patriarch of Excelsior Encampment No. 3. Judge Hazeltine married Miss Emiline McCallum in April 1802, and has four children, his oldest daughter being the wife of Hon. M. D. Clifford, Circuit Judge of the Ninth Judicial District, and his second the wife of Hun. John W. Biggs, mayor of Burns, Oregon.


D. B. Rinehart

     The subject of this article relates to D. B. Rinehart and his large orchard in the John Day Valley, Grant County, Oregon. He came to the John Day Valley in 1804, about the time that Grant County was cut off from Wasco. Hon. W. Lair Hill, was appointed County Judge by the governor of the State, while William Luce and E. S. Pernfield were appointed County Commissioners. The above board constituted the first County Court of Grant County. At the first sitting of the court, D. B. Rinehart was appointed county superintendent of public schools until the next general election. He subsequently was elected two different terms to the same office.
     Although Grunt County at that time included what is now known as Harney County, yet the county was sparsely settled, excepting the John Day Valley. It was estimated that at that time about 3,000 souls, principally miners, brought hither by the rich discoveries of gold along her mountain streams and auriferous gulches, were inhabiting the John Day Valley and adjacent to Canyon City, yet few persons had conceived the idea of entering extensively into fruit growing, not knowing at that time that the climate and soil were adapted to the successful cultivation of apples, pears, plums, cherries, prunes and other fruits. About the year 1868 Mr. Rinehart, in connection with N. W. Tesk, his partner in business at that time, purchased about 6,000 fruit trees for the planting and cultivation of the same and in the years 1869 and 1870 set out the largest orchard grown in Grant County, if not the largest and best cultivated in Eastern Oregon. At least Professor Hedrick, of the State University and Horticultural Commissioner Hobbs, of this district so stated or expressed themselves when on a tour of inspection among the orchards of Eastern Oregon two years ago.
     Mr. Rinehart is now, and has been for the last eight years or upward, sole proprietor of this valuable property, and ships thousands of bushels of fruit yearly to the neighboring markets, even to Baker City and some to Portland. These fruits are highly prized on account of their high flavor and being free from the effects of the codlin moth or other insects, are sound and silvery to the very core.
     While Mr. Rinehart devotes the greater part of his time to the cultivation of his large orchard, yet he is engaged also in the raising of cattle and other industries; owns upward of 600 acres of land in one body, all of which, outside of the orchard grounds, he uses in cultivation to meadow and alfalfa fields, and for the purpose of pasturing his stock. Of the above lands, Mr. Rinehart at an early date in the history of the Grant County filed on the orchard ranch of 160 acres as a pre-emption. After prov­ing up on this, he took 100 acres adjoining as a homestead. Soon after taking homestead, and while living upon the same, he filed on another 100 acres still vacant, as a timber culture claim, and commenced the planting of seeds, trees and cuttings, and now can boast of as beautiful cultivated grove of timber as can be found in Eastern Oregon.
     All the above lands are now patented and free from encumbrance. Outside of Mr. Rinehart's filings and proofs he purchased adjoining lands from other parties, with titles thereto, making in all his full complement of lands as at first indicated.
     Mr. Rinehart is a married man, has a wife and three children, and seems to be prosperous in his business and enjoying life with his family in his beautiful mountain home.


John A. Powell

The present efficient and courteous County Clerk is a native Oregonian. He received his education at Monmouth, having moved to Yamhill County, with his parents at an early age. In 1886 he moved to Grant County, locating on the middle folk of the John Day River, near Warm Springs, taking up a homestead and following stock rising. In 1892 he was appointed deputy sheriff, and in 1894 receiving the nomination for County Clerk from the Re­publican party, of which party he is a life long member, and was elected. As a public official, he proved eminently successful,

due to his affability and knowledge of clerical duties. At the expiration of his term he was re-elected. In 1878 he married Miss Bessie Hutchcroft of Yamhill County, and has six children.


Minot Austin

The sterling citizen whose every thought is for the good of the community, in which he has reared his home and cemented his associations, must always command the respect and esteem of his fellow citizens. Of such metal and commanding such respect, is he whose name is inscribed above. Born in Sacramento, California, in 1853, at an early age he moved with his parents to the Willamette Valley, where he resided until 1867. Coming to Eastern Oregon, he lived in the John Day Valley until 1878. He then moved to his present home, which at that time was still a part of Wasco County, and

has since been engaged principally in farming and stock raising. He also is owner of the Sumpter--Canyon City Stage Line, and has a store located at Austin, and aims to carry a stock with which to supply the needs of the surrounding neighborhood. In 1888 he married Linda Edwards. She has personal charge of the hostelry, and her reputation as a caterer is only second to that of Grandma Munra's of the Log Cabin Eating House at Meacham.


Dr. V. C. Belknap

A well known and popular physician of Prairie City, and one whose kind, attentive treatment of the sick, and genial­ity of manner towards the well have made hint deservedly the favorite of all classes, was born near Corvallis, Ore, in 1871. He received his preliminary education in the schools of Prineville, and later in Portland. He graduated from Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia in 1894, and then practiced for a while in the hospital there. In January 1895, he located at Prairie City, where he is still practicing. He is married to Miss Clara McHaley, and his home is the circle of a host of warm friends. Dr. Belknap is a member of the Oregon Medical

Society, and also belongs to a number of the leading fraternal orders being a Mason, Odd Fellow, Woodman and Workman.


George W. Dart

George W. Dart is one of John Day's most honored cit­izens. He is operating a large general merchandise estab­lishment there, and through courteous and fair treatment has gained the esteem of the entire community. Born in Maryland in 1858, he came to Canyon City, Oregon. In 1879, and was engaged in mining and stock rising until 1883. Moving then to John Day he became engaged in merchandising first under the firm name of Haptonstall & Dart, and later with Phil. Metschan, F. C. Sels and J. H. Blake as Haptonstall, Dart & Co. In 1890, in connection with C. E. Porter, he conducted the establishment of Part & Porter, but buying his partner out in June, 1897,  has conducted

the business alone since. Hiss stock is it well­ selected one, embracing a general line of supplies adapted to the wants of both the miner and stockman. His aim has been to serve the public with good goods at a living profit.

Grant County

 

Oregon Genealogy

Copyright 2004-, the web pages may be linked to but shall not be reproduced on another site without written permission from Oregon Genealogy. Images may not be linked to in any manner or method. Anyone may use the information provided here freely for personal use only. If you plan on publishing your personal information to the web please give proper credit to our site for providing this information. Thanks!!!