Towns of Union County, Oregon
There are several other Union county communities and locations which deserve mention in any brief summary of the county's history. Some of them had but a brief existence and little or nothing remains to mark the spot where they stood. Others are flourishing communities settled later than the towns previously mentioned. But all of them have made their contributions to the history of the county. These locations include: Historic Towns
Alicel This small community on the Sand Ridge in Grande Ronde Valley was named by Charles Ladd, a local resident about 1890 in honor of his wife Alice Ladd.
Imbler. Jesse Imbler was a farmer in the valley in the 1890's, and it was on his land that the town was platted in 1891. The Kerr Gifford Company elevator in Imbler stands on the site of the first flour mill built in that town by Jesse Hindman and John McKinnis in 1903.
Meacham. Although not in Union County this location has been very closely connected with Union County history. It was first known as Lee's Encampment. H.A.G. Lee having established a camp there in the 1840's. Meacham is named for Alfred and Harvey Meacham, brothers who operated the Meacham stage station in the 60"s and 70's.
Perry. located five miles west of La Grande on the Grande Ronde River. Perry was first known as Slumptown but the name was later changed to Perry in honor of an early railroad dispatcher in La Grande. Perry was for many years the site of the Grande Ronde Lumber Comşpany's large mill.
Telocaset. The word, pronounced by the Indiana as ''Taulekaset." is one of New PercÚ origin and means ôon the top" it is appropriate as it marks the crest on the railroad grade between the Grande Rondo and Baker valleys. In early stagecoach days this place was called Antelope Station. The Telocaset post office was established in 1883.